Producing New Cells
By Mr G Davidson
1. The diploid number of chromosomes for a human cell is:
2. If a cell containing 32 chromosomes undergoes mitosis 3 times, how many chromosomes will the new cells have?
3. Name the structure in a cell responsible for pulling the chromatids apart.
4. Growing cells in an artificial environment is called cell culture.
5. When working with cells, we maintain a sterile environment using techniques.
6. What do we call the cell organelle which holds the two chromatids together?
7. We can culture new cells on a jelly called nutrient broth.
8. If a bacterial cell is capable of dividing every 20 minutes, how many cells will there be after 3 hours assuming we start with one cell?
9. The chromosome complement is maintained by mitosis.
10. What term is used to describe a cell with only half a set of chromosomes, e.g. a sperm cell?