Transport Across Membranes
By Mr G Davidson
1. A plant cell placed in pure water would become:
2. Passive transport requires energy.
3. A cell membrane is made up of 2 types of molecule, and lipids.
4. If an animal cell is transferred from a 2% salt solution to a 3% salt solution it will gain water by osmosis.
5. Active transport requires energy and can move molecules against the concentration gradient.
6. What term is used to describe a plant cell which has lost water by osmosis?
7. What will happen to blood cells placed in a strong salt solution?
they will burst.
they will shrivel up.
they will become turgid.
they will become plasmolysed.
8. Give an example of a gas which will diffuse into an animal cell naturally.
9. A contractile vacuole pumps water out of an animal cell.
10. A piece of potato tissue weighing 16g was placed in distilled water. 2 hours later it was reweighed and found to be 19.2g. What is its water gain expressed as a percentage?