Variation & Inheritance
By Mr G Davidson
1. Which of the following all show discrete variation?
body mass, eye colour, earlobes attached.
foot length, tongue rolling ability, hand span.
blood type, eye colour, fingerprint type.
body height, hair type, heart rate.
2. You would use a line graph to show continuous variation.
3. In genetics, the word is used to describe an organism's appearance.
4. What do we call two different forms of the same gene?
5. If a homozygous red flowered pea plant (red = dominant) is crossed with a white flowered pea plant, the F1 generation would be produced. If we then crossed one of the F1 generation with a white flowered pea plant, what would you expect the F2 generation t
3 red : 1 white
1 red : 1 white
6. If a characteristic is controlled by more than one gene, it is said to exhibit inheritance.
7. Genetic use pedigree charts to help them offer advice to couples.
8. If an organism is heterozygous, it means it can have two different appearances.
9. Shell size in mussels is an example of continuous variation.
10. Two organisms can have the same genotype but a different phenotype.